Grayson Georgia is filled with names like Brand, Chandler and Cooper, town founder James Patterson McConnell along with John E. Jacobs, Grayson’s first mayor, founded what became Grayson. In Gwinnett County, Georgia, the region around Grayson was territory of the Lower Creek and Cherokee Indians. In February 1784 Franklin County, which is now part of Gwinnett, began settlement by Europeans. Legislation put land at 3 shillings an acre and limited settlers to 1000 acres maximum. Land Lotteries spread estates to settlers and parts east of the Appalachee River became Gwinnett County in December of 1818.
Early names of settlements were New Hope, Tribble’s Mill and Haynes Creek. The McElvaney family ran the Bay Creek post office in their mill. In 1877 Georgia Militia District was created and the Grayson area was named Bay Creek District, probably because of the native Bay trees. John E. Jacobs, Grayson’s first mayor wrote to the Post Department requesting that the town name be changed to Berkeley. An Act by the General Assembly of Georgia approved and Berkeley was incorporated December 16, 1901. However, this name was already used in Georgia and after trying names like Graymont consesus landed on Grayson, which was finalized in 1902. The L & L Railroad was built through Grayson in 1898 and went from Lawrenceville to Loganville Georgia. Grayson is north east of Atlanta Georgia, also north and east of Buford Ga and the Mall of Georgia.