- Canton Ga Georgia Wikipedia Entry [ Facts and Figures ]
- Official City of Canton Ga Web-site [ City services for residents ]
- Awesome Canton Ga Visitor Guide
- Access Canton Ga Entertainment and News Guide
- Real Estate in Canton Ga Georgia
- Canton Ga Weather Forecast [ Weather ]
- Georgia State Web Portal for Canton Ga
- Another Canton Ga Real Estate Web-site
- Northpoint Church
- Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Encore Park in Canton Ga [ la la la la la la la la la la la la ]
- Saint Francis Schools in Canton Ga and Roswell Georgia [ Reputable schools for Canton Ga residents and neighbors ]
Grayson Georgia is filled with names like Brand, Chandler and Cooper, town founder James Patterson McConnell along with John E. Jacobs, Grayson’s first mayor, founded what became Grayson. In Gwinnett County, Georgia, the region around Grayson was territory of the Lower Creek and Cherokee Indians. In February 1784 Franklin County, which is now part of Gwinnett, began settlement by Europeans. Legislation put the price of land at 3 shillings an acre and limited settlers to 1000 acres maximum. Land Lotteries spread estates to settlers and parts east of the Appalachee River became Gwinnett County in December of 1818.
Early names of settlements were New Hope, Tribble’s Mill and Haynes Creek. The McElvaney family ran the Bay Creek post office in their mill. In 1877 Georgia Militia District was created and the Grayson area was named Bay Creek District, probably because of the native Bay trees. John E. Jacobs, Grayson’s first mayor wrote to the Post Department requesting that the town name be changed to Berkeley. An Act by the General Assembly of Georgia approved and Berkeley was incorporated December 16, 1901. However, this name was already used in Georgia and after trying names like Graymont consesus landed on Grayson, which was finalized in 1902. The L & L Railroad was built through Grayson in 1898 and went from Lawrenceville to Loganville Georgia. Grayson is north east of Atlanta Georgia, also north and east of Buford Ga and the Mall of Georgia.
Mark the Mover is an Atlanta moving and storage company with 20,000 square feet of full service climate controlled storage in the midtown area. Mark the Mover is located in Fulton County Georgia, and less than 20 minutes from Dunwoody Georgia. Also serving commercial customers at the Perimeter Mall and the King and Queen buildings, Mark the Mover uses modern moving trucks equipped with modern moving equipment and with plenty of shrink wrap and moving pads.
Major Charles Dunwody, Born in 1828, died in 1905
Charles Dunwody fought for the Confederate Army and survived the American War of Northern Aggression. Major Dunwody returned to the Roswell area after the war. Charles Dunwody rebuilt a covered bridge over the Chatahoochie River in 1869. The first covered bridge at the Johnson’s Ferry historical location was built by John Lowery in the 1850’s, but was burned by a Confederate battalion to slow Union troops moving down from Kennesaw. More information is at a nice site of historical markings called waymarking.com
Dunwoody is at the most northern point of Dekalb County North of the perimeter highway I-285. Dekalb County has a North South western border that crosses the I-285 border almost right down the middle lanes of Georgia 400. Dunwoody extends up to the borders of the county and so borders Fulton County to the west about one half mile east of Georgia 400 precisely along the county line and Gwinnett County to the east.
Dunwoody Spelling Error
Dunwoody is not the only thing misspelled north of the perimeter. Holcomb Bridge should be spelled with an `e’ on the end, the Holcombes lived in the Chattahoochee River area and owned a covered bridge there. It was called Holcombe’s Bridge. Dunwoody is spelled wrong, the man for whom the area was named is Charles Dunwody. The name is even misspelled on his grave marker at a Roswell cemetery, though the grave marker next to his, his wife’s, is spelled Dunwody.
Chamblee, incorporated by the Georgia legislature on August 17, 1908 in DeKalb County. Why Chamblee?
Perhaps the 1885 petition for the U.S. Postal Service at Roswell Junction. The U.S.P.S. did not want Roswell Junction, because of nearby city of Roswell, and picked “Chamblee” from the list of petitioners. The Chamblee selected was an African-American railroad worker. In another version, the Chamlee’s founded the town. Chamblee has been known for dairies, railroads and the military. The Norfolk Southern Railroad and the Roswell Railroad cross in Chamblee. In 1917, Chamblee’s dairy land was turned into Camp Gordon. The new military base grew with 1,200 buildings and became home to 40,000 military personnel. After World War I the military decommissioned Camp Gordon only to reestablish it in 1941 as a Navy Flight Training Center. Lawson Veterans Hospital was added, specializing in amputees to use prosthetic limbs. After World War II, General Motors opened their plant in neighboring Doraville. Corporations like Frito-Lay and Kodak built plants and provided a strong tax base and employment.
Since the 1980’s, the International Village overlay was the first zoning in metro Atlanta for mixed-use development and pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods. The City received a multi-million dollar redevelopment along Buford Highway the International Village area for it’s effort. The City also protected the historic downtown now nationally recognized as Antique Row. Another landmark of Chamblee Georgia is Peachtree-Dekalb Airport.
Avondale Estates Mover- in DeKalb County, Georgia, United States, population 2,700.
Founded in 1924 by George Francis Willis, Avondale Estates was once called Ingleside and Willis wanted to create a planned community. Named after Stratford-upon-Avon, England, birthplace of Shakespeare, it has a Tudor look driving through from 285 to Decatur on 278. Features include Lake Avondale, a High School, Middle School and Grade School. Museum School of Avondale Estates is a Georgia Charter School opened in 2010.
At two acres, Avondale Lake is a pond with benches and a park frequented by geese moving south in the winter and north in the summer. From Covington Road, look for Lakeshore Drive just east of Avondale Estates First Baptist Church and Avondale Elementary School.
Druid Hills Historic District
With the destruction of the Civil War and the transformation of the Peachtree Road Corridor from residential to commercial, the existence of old south residences in Atlanta has all but disappeared. However, the Druid Hills area contains a plethora of historical homes from the early 1900’s. The National Park Service maintains that this area is rich in examples of period architecture. The area became a canvas for famed urban planner Frederick Law Olmsted and the area became a retreat for Atlanta’s political, professional and commercial families.
Olmsted was pursued by Joel Hurt, an Atlanta developer interested in capitalizing on the expanding Atlanta housing market around 1900 to create livable suburbs. With the advent of commuter rail and the automobile, well to do shakers and movers looked to Hurt for more bucolic housing scenarios. With his partnership with Olmsted, Hurt brought in the designer best known at that time for planning Prospect Heights in Brooklyn, the Capitol grounds in Washington DC and for his role in designing Washington Park in Chicago. Olmsted’s vision is observed on Ponce de Leon east of Highland running through the Fernbank museum area and bordering the Emory University district. He foresaw a divided boulevard for Ponce de Leon with park space in the median. Still a prosperous and bustling center for Dekalb County, it is also bordered to the east by the county seat, Decatur Georgia. A rolling landscape with lush greenery and an international influence, it remains a mostly residential area that also boasts the Druid Hills Golf Club and near by East Lake Golf Club where the 2013 Tour Championship runs from September 19 through 22, sponsored by Coca-Cola.
Mark the Mover has relocated residents of the Sandy Springs community for 30 years. Relocating households in Sandy Springs, Georgia, Mark the Mover provides packing, storage, crating and shipping – both local and long distance. Just north of Atlanta, Sandy Sprintgs is the eighth-largest city in Georgia. The Sandy Springs historic site still exists in the city boundaries.
Sandy Springs Recreation, Parks, and Gardens
The City of Sandy Springs has more than a dozen green space, recreational and park areas between the city and the county offering almost 300 acres of park land. Recreational parks include tennis courts, indoor basketball and outdoor basketball courts and a gymnasium.
Hammond Park, 705 Hammond Drive, (404) 252-6310: Gymnasium, indoor basketball courts, lighted tennis, athletic field, covered picnic pavilions and a children’s playground. Sandy Springs Tennis Center, 500 Abernathy Road, (404) 303-6182: 24 lighted tennis courts, clubhouse, locker rooms and a pro shop. Abernathy Park, 254 Johnson Ferry Road, (404) 303-6172: tennis courts, arts center, a children’s playground, picnic tables. Big Trees Forest Preserve, 7645 Roswell Road, (770) 673-0111: 30 acre urban forest with 1.5 miles of walking trails. Morgan Falls Park, 450 Morgan Falls Place, (770) 396-0330: baseball fields, football field, picnic pavilions and children’s playgrounds. see www.sandyspringsga.org/City-Departments/Recreation-and-Parks/Parks-and-Facilities
Sandy Springs has around 87,000 residents and is metro AtlantaÂ´s most upscale large traditional suburban community.The Police force consists of more than 150 Sandy Springs Law Enforcement professionals, and the fire departmant has more than 100 full time employees, supplemented by almost as many dedicated part time fire fighters, all Sandy Springs Fire Department emergency repsonders are Class B licensed.
In the 1970s the city of Atlanta attempted to annex Sandy Springs. Opposition mounted and the Committee for Sandy Springs was formed in 1975. June 21, 2005 residents voted 94% to 6% in favor of incorporation.
Sandy Springs is home to United Parcel Service and Newell Rubbermaid. Northside Hospital and Saint Joseph’s Hospital are on the southern edge, and although Perimeter Mall is in adjacent DeKalb County, Perimeter Center has many high-rise buildings, including the 570-foot “king and queen” towers.
Legend has it that the sandy spring has never run dry. It is found at the Sandy Springs Historic Site. The Creek Indians would stop at the spring on their journey to Atlanta. To this day, it produces 10 gallons of water per minute.
Sandy Springs Georgia
Sandy Springs, Georgia is on the northern end of Atlanta, and with a population approaching 100,000 it is approximately one fourth the population of Atlanta Ga. Sometimes referred to as a part of north Fulton County, by adding up the populations of Alpharetta, Roswell GA and Johns Creek with Sandy Springs you can create a population center with more than three fourths the total population of the City of Atlanta. Many are surprised to learn that the population of the City of Atlanta is less than 500,000 and in fact what we call Atlanta is really often the greater Atlanta metropolitan district. The Atlanta Metropolitan Statistical Area is the ninth largest such designation in the United States, after the three big boys, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. Then there are seven large metro areas including Houston and Dallas, Philadelphia and Washington DC, Miami Florida and Boston Massachussetts.
The Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Los Angeles districts all cover large geographical areas. If we were to combine the northeastern districts into a single district, more than 36 million people would make up the New York-adelphia / BostoWashington district. There are of course nearly 500 miles between Boston to the North and Washington DC to the south, and even a large MSA like Dallas / Fort Worth is only slightly more than 100 miles in breadth. A large factor in the designation of a MSA is the propogation of media outlets, like television and radio. TV stations are generally limited to circles with a diameter of less than 100 miles, even less in mountainess terain. Radio markets are larger, powerful radio stations like New York’s WABC and Chicago’s WLS Radio cover larger circles, especially at night when some listeners report getting radio programs from more than 500 miles distance from the transmitting tower for AM radio.
Sandy Springs Ga
AM Radio in Atlanta is anchored primarily by two stations, 640 AM WGST and 750 AM WSB, home of the mouth of the South, aka @talkmaster. But Atlanta is not nearly the AM radio town as compared to New York or Chicago, but Atlanta is the home to Ted Turner’s creation, the Turner Broadcasting System or TBS and CNN, the Cable News Network. While CNN is in an increasingly competitve cable news field, the TBS influences on the Atlanta area have made Atlanta a powerful media force including cartoon media, film and movie history and original programming from the TBS group. TBS and it’s supporters create an abundance of talent and resources in the graphical, video and internet businesses that help Atlanta thrive in the digital age.
Alpharetta Georgia has evolved into the Silicon Valley of the Southeast, and Ga 400 is the technology corridor. Fed by the demand of the media savvy Atlanta market, the Ga 400 corridor has seen the incubation of multiple digital age ventures that add to the Atlanta MSA economy. Atlanta is well known for TBS, CNN and Home Depot, but the GA 400 corridor in the ‘Perimeter’ area, spot on the Sandy Springs and Dunwoody areas has a major business area featuring the King and Queen buildings, known as Concourse IV & V, at fifty stories, the tallest suburban office buildings in the country. The Sandy Springs area is home to corporate headquarters for major corporations like UPS, Rubbermaid and Remington Grooming Products.
Sandy Springs was named after a spring in the area that still provides a steady supply of clean water bubbling up from a sandy shoal. It isn’t a gushing raging river the size of the Amazon or anything, but if you need to see the Sandy Spring, just go to the Sandy Springs Historic Site & Museum at the Heritage Park recreation area, an amazing four acre walking and relaxing space at 6110 Bluestone Road, Sandy Springs, GA 30328 or visit www.heritagesandysprings.org – the freshwater artesian spring is recorded back hundreds of years, and perhaps to the 5th century A.D. in indian lore. Some say the sping was the intersection of three indian trails, two being the Hightower trail and the Shallowford trail.
Sandy Springs incorporated in 2005 and now have their own police, fire rescue, EMS and 911 systems. Public Works currently oversees street maintenance, storm water and the Parks and Recreation offers several green space options managed by the new city. Go to www.sandyspringsga.org for more information.
Buford Ga is the home of the Mall of Georgia and the Imax Theater where a great deal of dining and entertainment venues exist. The Mall of Georgia for example contains numerous shopping venues and surrounding the mall are dozens of car dealers. The automobile dealers around Buford Georgia are among the most exciting and competitive auto buying venues in the state of Georgia and attract a great deal of commerce to Buford Ga.
Buford and the Mall of Georgia is surrounded by a plethora of restaurants ranging from the pedestrian influence of Wendy’s and the Waffle House but also the sublime like Niko Niko Sushi and the Kani House. In between are such experiences as O’Charleys and the Olive Garden with their never ending rasberry iced teas. Buford only has a population of around 12,000 in around 4000 households. Named after the president of the Atlanta and Richmond Air Line Railway, Algernon S. Buford, Buford was the largest city in Gwinnett County until the 1960’s. Buford is between United States Interstate routes 85 and 985. I-985 is the route we follow to the Dillard House in Dillard Georgia. The famous Dillard House is over an hour north of Buford on I-985, and note that I-985 actually ends in Gainesville Georgia where you continue traveling north on Georgia Rt 23, not that most people notice.
Another interesting Buford Ga venue is the 37 main rock cafe. In this case we get away from the mall into the downtown district of Buford. The 37 main rock cafe is where the young people and the locals meet for local bands. If you can tolerate a loud music atmosphere this is the place with character that you are looking for. From the Mall of Georgia follow Buford Drive north to S. Lee street where you turn right. S Lee St intersects with W. Main street where you turn right again and approximately three and one half blocks up is the Rock Cafe.
Among restaurants nearest the Mall, the Parma Tavern is a little north of the mall and so far has not booked any loud rock bands that we know of. Their menu contains a variety of tasty food and the service has been improving since they first opened. They have a lot of reviews on yelp.com that bear that out. In case you are not familiar with yelp.com restaurant reviews, the yelpers are highly critical but funny and engaging in their reviews of venues from San Francisco to Atlanta Georgia.
Movers near Eagle’s Landing Georgia
With 33 years of Atlanta Georgia household relocation experience, Mark the Mover is a tried and true company for moving and packing services near Eagle’s Landing Georgia. Check out Mark the Mover with your favorite social sites, including our Facebook page or check our are reviews at Yelp and Kudzu. We are also on Angie’s List and do our best to offer excellent moving and packing services at a fair price. Mark the Mover does local moving around the Atlanta area as well as long distance moves, especially moving to and from states around Georgia.
The Eagles Landing area is home to many prominent Atlanta area citizens, and receives the name from the Eagles Landing Country Club, an exclusive membership venue which includes golf, tennis, swimming, dining and is host to events including weddings, golf and tennis outings. The featured golf course is a classic par 72 which can boast a slope appraching 140 and the common configuration of par 4’s with two par 3’s and two par 5’s per side. It boasts a spectacular finish with with water left along a dogleg par 5. Intermixed with homes in the Eagles Landing subdivision, it is lightly sanded except in the middle of the back nine where players are challenged with a links style par 5 that boasts nearly a dozen traps from where they find their tee ball to prox.
Ernest W. Barrett Parkway in northwest metro Atlanta is in Cobb County, Georgia. Ernest W. Barrett was the first chairman of the Cobb County Board of Commissioners in the 1960s.
Barrett Parkway Previously
Previously Roberts Road, renamed during the 1980s, leading to increased land development along with the construction of I-575 in 1980. Marietta’s West Cobb Parkway was renamed to Barrett Parkway in the 1990s, and Barrett Parkway is now lined with shopping and restaurants.
Running now roughly from Marietta to Kennesaw, Barrett Parkway is under local control (with exception to the state route portion) and was built with county funds. With the east-west Connector and Cumberland Parkway, Barrett Parkway serves as a western by-pass of Marietta and connects Cumberland Mall and Town Center at Cobb.